Tue, 15 Aug|
Stonehouse Court Hotel £285
Hand Spinning Perfection Retreat SOLD OUT New Date for 2024 Coming Soon
Indulge your passion for hand spinning on our two day retreat in the idyllic Cotswolds.
Time & Location
15 Aug 2023, 09:30 – 16 Aug 2023, 16:00
Stonehouse Court Hotel £285, Bristol Rd, Stonehouse, Stroud GL10 3RA, UK
About the Event
I am delighted to be hosting a Hand Spinning Retreat in the idyllic Cotswolds. So why not join me and immerse yourself in the ancient, absorbing, exciting and relaxing craft of hand spinning.
In my opinion there is nothing more relaxing and soothing than just sitting at the wheel and rhythmically transforming the most beautiful fibre into a satisfying yarn with which to knit, crochet or weave. However, if one knows how to create a very specific yarn, from lace weight right through to chunky then the spinner has options; either to spin to relax and enjoy the moment or be able to create the yarn needed for a specific pattern. So perfecting the yarn opens up a whole world of possibilities and keeps this fascinating craft alive and exciting.
As spinners we are so lucky to have such a vast range of wools available to us so understanding the properties of a variety of wools offers one the choices to experiment and enjoy the possibilities to create a range of yarns for so many projects. This does however require the spinner to feel confident in preparing their fibres and this retreat will ensure that you leave with the skills, understanding and confidence to perfectly prepare and spin your fibres into yarns to be proud of.
I very much hope that you will join me for a wonderfully relaxing time in the Cotswolds indulging in your passion for hand spinning.
THE IMPORTANT DETAILS:
- COST - £285.00 PER PERSON £50.00 Deposit payable upon booking. The ticket price is the deposit price. An invoice will be sent to you upon receipt of your deposit to enable you to pay the balance of £235 by August 1st 2023 by Bacs to: The Spinning Barn, NATWEST BANK A/C 625 96594 S/C 53-61-15. Upon receipt of your deposit you will receive an additional booking form on which you can indicate your other choices as detailed below.
- WHEN - AUGUST 15TH & 16TH 2023
- TIMES - Day 1 - 9.30 am - 5pm Day 2 - 9am - 4pm
- VENUE - The Stonehouse Court Hotel, Bristol Rd, Stonehouse, Stroud GL10 3RA
- Phone: 01453 794950 MAP LINK https://goo.gl/maps/ZyNussRKRUv8RkkQ7
- Do explore the hotel's website at https://www.stonehousecourt.co.uk/ to appreciate the appeal of this fabulous location which is a 17th Century country house steeped in history and nestled in six acres of the perfect Cotswold countryside. It makes it the perfect venue at which to relax and unwind. The Sandford suite is large and bright opening out onto the terrace and gardens all of which you are free to explore and enjoy during your stay.
- ACCOMMODATION - Is not included in the booking fee, however The Stonehouse Court Hotel offers a range of beautifully decorated and very comfortable bedrooms and we have reserved a number of rooms especially for this event on both 14th August if you choose to stay the night before the event and on 15th August if you wish to stay for just one night. By booking independently you will have the flexibility to choose your preferred room and for this reason accommodation costs are not included in the cost of the retreat. You may of course book to stay at an alternative hotel if you are travelling to the event, and attend on a day basis. You will receive an additional booking form upon receipt of your deposit. Please indicate if you will be staying at the hotel or attending as a day guest.
- WHO IS THIS SUITABLE FOR- it is expected that you will have a working spinning wheel and be able to spin a very basic yarn. You do not need to be able to spin the perfect yarn, that's what you will be learning. Equally if you are a relatively accomplished spinner already this tuition will enable you to perfect both your preparation and spinning techniques.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED - Two days of fun and informative tuition in a fabulous location plus all meals and refreshments. All fibres needed to spin for all set spinning will be provided. Prepared fibres will also be available to purchase if you would like to enable you to continue your spinning as soon as you get home, or to add to your 'stash'!
- MEALS - All meals and refreshments are included ie refreshments in the morning and afternoon on both days, buffet lunch on both days plus pre -dinner reception and three course dinner with wine or a soft drink on Day 1. Following your booking you will receive a copy of the dinner menu and an additional booking form on which to indicate your choices. Please also indicate any dietary requirements.
- GROUP SIZE - The group will be limited to 15 attendees only to allow for individual attention. BOOK SOON!
- UPON ARRIVAL - Registration is at 9am. Parking is available at the front of the hotel. Please inform staff members that you are attending the Hand Spinning Retreat with The Spinning Barn and make your way to the Sandford Suite. At this point you are asked not to bring any equipment into the building. You will be asked to register your attendance for reasons of Health & Safety. Following registration you will be shown an alternative route through which to bring your equipment which has a flat surface and direct access into the Sandford Suite. Please ask if you require assistance to bring your equipment into the venue. We shall then meet for introductions and refreshments before the day commences.
- ACCESSIBILITY - The hotel offers the following information: There is a free car park to the front of the hotel Disabled parking spaces are clearly marked at the front of the hotel There are six steps to gain access into the reception.The reception area has seating for guests to wait. When checking-in, reception staff will note if guests will need assistance in the event of an evacuation. The Sandford Suite, situated on the lower ground can be accessed from our gardens/terrace with no steps.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
There will be an exciting programme of spinning activities to really immerse yourself into the world of fibre preparation and hand spinning techniques. By the end of the retreat you will feel confident in your new skills and be able to continue at home. So what will be included:
- We shall examine a range of wools from a variety of breeds to discover their properties and therefore the most effective way to prepare and spin them. So you will fully understand how to prepare short, lofty fibres right through to long lustrous locks and how to spin them to achieve the very best yarns. .
- We shall discuss and practise a range of fibre preparation techniques including the use of hand cards, drum carders and wool combs.
- You will learn how to deliberately spin a range of yarn weights to enable you to achieve the required yarns for your craft projects.
- You will learn, or perfect, both worsted and woollen hand spinning to further improve your hand spinning skills.
AADITIONAL ACTIVITY: Summer Shawl Reveal
- For a little bit of fun you are invited to take part in our Summer Shawl Reveal whereby you may like to create a summer shawl to be worn at dinner on the first evening. This can be made in any medium eg knitting, crochet, weaving, felting and may be from either hand spun or commercial yarns although it is requested that you use British wool. During the drinks reception all guests can enjoy each others' creations and hear all about why the wearer chose the pattern, design, yarn etc to inspire us all to perhaps try something new and to celebrate each others' work. Don't worry, it can be as simple or elaborate as you choose, so go on, start creating your summer shawl and join the fun. If you choose not to take part that too is fine, it's just for fun but we hope that you will.
WHAT WILL BE SUPPLIED:
- A range of sheep fleeces to examine and discuss. (Personal Protective Equipment will be provided)
- Prepared fibres to spin - sufficient for the two days.
- Prepared fibres and equipment to purchase if you choose to take home to continue your new skills.
- Goody bags!
- Refreshments in the morning and afternoon and a buffet lunch on both days. A pre dinner drinks reception and dinner in the evening on Day 1. Upon booking you will receive a menu and an additional booking form on which you should make your menu choices. You should alo indicate any dietary requirements too.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:
- Your spinning wheel in good working order
- Spinning wheel repair kit - just in case!
- A minimum of three bobbins.
- Orifice threading hook.
- Hand cards if you have a pair.
- Drum carder if you have one.
- Wool combs.
- An apron or lap cloth.
- NOTE: Upon booking you will receive an additional form on which you should indicate which equipment, if any you will be bringing. There will be limited amounts of equipment to share if you do not have your own.
TERMS & CONDITONS:
*All attendees are expected to supply their own spinning wheel and associated equipment. If this poses a problem or if advice is needed then please contact the organiser to discuss.
*All equipment brought to the event remains the responsibility of the attendee and it is expected that all equipment intended for use be of good working order. The organisers cannot accept any responsibility for any loss or breakage.
* Please note that the hotel suite does not have lockable doors and therefore any valuables should be stored in one's bedroom or other safe location overnight.
*Any electrical equipment eg E Spinners must be PAT tested and carry the in-date sticker to confirm this. Preferably one should use a battery pack which should be fully charged prior to the event.
*Some equipment poses risks eg wool combs and carders. These should be stored securely when not in use. Health & safety advice will be given at the start of the event.
*In accordance with the ethics of The Spinning Barn all attendees are expected to act in a kind and courteous manner at all times to maintain a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment. Any abusive behaviour will not be tolerated.
* The booking of accommodation is the responsibility of the attendee to choose the room and make the fees payable to the hotel directly.
* A deposit to secure a place on the retreat of £50.00 is payable at the time of booking with the final balance payable by Bank Transfer by August 1st 2023. You will receive an invoice for the outstanding balance upon receipt of your deposit. Please use your SURNAME and RETREAT 2023 as reference. Final payments should be made to: The Spinning Barn NATWEST BANK A/C 62596594 S/C 53-61-15
In the event of The Spinning Barn cancelling the event all monies paid will be refunded.
In the event of the attendee cancelling our cancellation policy will take effect as follows:
* Cancellation up to 14 days before the event will recieve a full refund.
* Cancellation between days 13 and 7 before the event will receive a 50% refund.
* Cancellation between days 6 and the day of the event will not receive a refund.
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS:
Feel free to email me with your questions. firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include RETREAT 2023 as the subject heading.
Contact telephone 07930605578
We are looking forward to welcoming you to our retreat in August.
Theresa & James
Hand Spinning Retreat
The ticket price of £50 is the DEPOSIT PRICE to secure your place on the retreat. An invoice will be sent to you upon receipt of your deposit to enable you to pay the balance of £235 by August 1st 2023 by Bacs to: The Spinning Barn, NATWEST BANK A/C 625 96594 S/C 53-61-15£50.00Sale ended